Tuesday 23 November 2010

I've been having insomnia for quite a while now. I would just lie on the bed, unable to fall asleep. I just don't feel tired and sleepy. So here I am, typing out a blog entry.

Just hours ago, I attended a rehearsal/recording session of the Berlin Philharmonic and man were they awesome! The unity of the orchestra; the unseen, literally virtual, communication between musicians was really special. They did not just stare at their scores and/or the conductor, but they played to each other as well; and I mean this literally because they sometimes play in the direction of the colleagues next to them. These musicians really have the music at heart and made things like intonation, articulation, pulse and even musical direction second nature. This frees them up to listen to themselves as a unit and constantly fit in according to their roles, which I think, is a major contribution to their success. I'll be attending one more rehearsal later and I'll open up my ears even more so that I make attending the rehearsal really worthwhile.

I really do hope to get sleepy really soon....

No comments: