Saturday 30 July 2011

Hi all, my first day with my new case went well! The only downside I've found so far is that I have to wipe off the dust and dirt from the leather after a bus ride and that's just annoying. Good thing I won't be taking it on buses everyday. But well, it fits the instrument well, there's plenty of space in the bell bag even with the bell with it so I can actually take my MacBook Air in it which is what I did today! No problems at all, I don't see how it can damage the horn because the folder fits just snuggly inside the bag.

Recently, lots of talk has been going around about decisions made by the government about public transport especially. That's a hot topic but I really hope more people can chime in on the education system here. I go back to Dunearn occasionally and I sometimes feel disappointed at the school. Teaching is a tough job, no denying that. But teachers need to know that when they sign for the job. Teachers deal with the future of the world and if they just treat it as a job without passion, it's just a pity for the students. I know there's lots of stress, demands and expectations in the job but aren't those what potential teachers are supposed to consider? Dunearn has some fabulous teachers and I've been taught by some of them. I just wished more of the big pool of teachers were like them. These teachers don't just impart knowledge into students. They change the student's character and that's the meaning I'm starting to embrace about the word "education". Good successful teachers are those who are really good at changing people for the better. In a recent letter by a 16 year-old girl from Nan Chiau High School, many of the loopholes in the system were pointed out by someone who is still in the system! Many of us find it easier to look at the primary/secondary education system once we're out of it but she's able to criticise it from within! That just shows how much she's able to think! I really will put my head to it when I can and really think hard about the system, the students, the teachers and what can be improved in a system that I believe did work in the past. But now is the present and changes have to be made.

I've updated some information about the concert on Sunday. Please do come and support the very first Singapore Saxophone Symposium. It has started a few hours ago and it culminates in a gala concert on Sunday, 8pm at NAFA's Lee Foundation Theatre. Tickets are $20 for the concert and I'll be performing with the Nanyang Festival Winds for that concert. Details on the left. Do check it out and I hope to see you there!

No comments: