Wednesday 14 December 2011

Tiring day. Saved by coffee before rehearsal at night and it's probably still in effect. I guess I shall repeat for later. Woke up, ate breakfast and gave my horn a refreshing bath. Took me 4 hours to get it done! Really really tiring. I shall not touch the springs for a while because they're a pain to put back! At least now they're really clean. So now I have a fresh, clean and well-functioning horn to use for 4 upcoming concerts.

Playing in Slide That just now, I felt from my perspective, I've changed the way I play in an ensemble. I don't know if it's making it better, worse, or still the same but I can feel the change. I felt that I was caring much more about blend, balance and basically knowing my role on the go. Well they are all self-perception and it's only for others (or a recording device) to tell me how I'm actually doing from a different standpoint. It actually makes me excited to play in an ensemble again, the challenges it presents, the rewards we gain, the fun to have. All these just increase when we know we're all listening to each other at the highest level possible. It really becomes magical to me. All these are making me more and more eager to be on stage on Friday. It has been a great learning experience, this project with Philwinds. I shall find some way to make sure I remember it. I'll also want to share that experience with my schoolmates, especially the low brass players. We've all got so much to learn and I'm really looking forward to constantly working on ensemble skills in greater detail in addition to our fundamentals and solo works. Although my practice plans have simply fallen apart for the holidays, I felt I've gained more in other areas. I've been made aware, and now it's time to work on it. After all, that one seat in the orchestra is my ultimate goal.

Speaking of orchestra, NAFA has appointed a new Head of Orchestral Studies I believe and it's Maestro Lim Yau! Honestly, I am looking forward to this new era. No doubt the word going round says he is scary, but honestly, I prefer a music director who tells me I'm not doing the right thing and ensures I correct it. We're still in school anyway. No doubt we have to be as professional as possible but the fact remains that we're still students. We're all here to learn together. So I'm really looking forward to the first orchestra rehearsal which should be on the 4th. Right now, time to try and get some sleep!

No comments: