Monday 1 July 2013

Just a quick update of what I have been doing for the past few weeks in which I have not updated my blog.

Firstly, the Slide That concert. It was last Wednesday on 26 June and I must say it did exceed my expectations of what the concert will turn out to be! Some things could have been more well thought out but overall I was really glad to hear positive feedback from most of the audience! We did a first half of instrumental music followed by a second half of pop music with singers and a rhythm section. It was rewarding working for this concert, not just on the trombone but I helped out with the slideshow of pictures as well. It did add a nice touch to the program. Much of the credit should go to Laurel for putting together pretty much everything else. The stage team for the lots of help in setting up the stage, Boon Hua for listening to our rehearsals and fine tuning our playing to make it that bit better. Kudos to all who performed and I hope to be playing again some time soon! Hopefully with more original trombone music! Hehe.

Secondly, the pair of concerts that I attended. I attended OMM's Tchaikovsky's Fourth concert and TPO's Rite of Spring concert. The OMM concert started of with Mozart's 40th symphony and I must say it really isn't the orchestra's forte. Lots of issues with impulse made it difficult for the orchestra to fit into one another's lines and made the music sound clumsy. The Tchaikovsky was a bit better but being in SOTA's hall, balance did suffer a bit. But there was fine playing nonetheless and much to enjoy. TPO's Rite of Spring was played to a sold-out hall at Esplanade and with good reason. The concert was a collaboration between TPO and the Arts Fission company which is a well-known local dance group. The dancing was very well choreographed and the orchestra's playing, although not spectacular, was enjoyable and both art forms did fit in to one another very nicely. Although the main dancers were very energetic youths who did put up a very good performance showcasing violent moves that symbolise the sacrifice that is depicted in the piece, there was a great community effort to involve old folks as well and their part of the show was very well done as well. Kudos to all performers!

Other than that, I attended Edward and Adeline's wedding on Saturday. I wish them both a very healthy and loving life ahead.

July is here and that means my cruise holiday on the 7th as well as the big trip to AYO is coming up very soon! Excitement is building up in me and I really can't wait to be sitting in an orchestra once more, listening to a conductor demanding and squeezing every last bit of effort from the musicians. Lots of new people to meet and new places to visit as well so I'm really hyped up and I can't wait! FOr now that's all and goodnight!

No comments: