Sunday 12 September 2010

Woo! Had great fun with the NAFA Orchestra this afternoon. Really good show! Many thanks and well done to all my orchestra mates! Let's put up an even better show for Brahms 3 and Meistersinger!

So yup, the current repertoire for orchestra is done with and up next will be the two pieces mentioned above as well as the Schumann piano concerto. Details will be up at a later date. I'm glad the orchestra has built itself from almost nothing when the term started; people needed time to fit in and also actually needing to get used to playing with a lot more people. I'm really happy that it has come this far. I hope one day, when I'm still studying in NAFA, the orchestra will get to play more complex music like Mahler. It'll be an extremely tall order but it'll mark a major milestone in the orchestra's history if it can play Mahler well. All everyone needs to do is practice hard, work together as a team and listen especially. Without listening, a score cannot turn into music.

Orchestra aside, now I've to start preparing Telemann's Sonata in F minor for brass platform. I've got 1 month to prepare a piece I'm familiar with, since I practiced it during the Access Course. I'll be playing the first and second movements. The piece is great fun and rewarding, but diligent practice is definitely required, especially for the running passages where I seem to lose pulse and rhythm easily. Time to strengthen the friendship with my metronome!

No comments: